[R-sig-ME] Fitting linear mixed model to longitudinal data with very few data points

Steven J. Pierce pierces1 at msu.edu
Sun Nov 24 16:32:01 CET 2013

I don't see any hope of drawing trustworthy conclusions from a dataset this
small given the complexity of the model you want to use and the long list of
things you want to know.

Maybe the least-worst approach is to accept that this data should not be
analyzed and go search the literature for previously published evidence
pertaining to your question instead, or to advocate for obtaining the
resources required to plan a study with an appropriate sample size and
research design.

For most of your questions (e.g., pairwise comparisons at each time point),
you have two relevant data points, one with and one without treatment. It
would take a pretty extraordinary set of circumstances to convince me that
this sample is the best evidence one can acquire to answer your questions.
Barring that, doing statistics on data this sparse and using them to support
any serious decision-making seems unethical to me.

Steven J. Pierce, Ph.D.
Associate Director
Center for Statistical Training & Consulting (CSTAT)
Michigan State University
E-mail: pierces1 at msu.edu