[R-sig-ME] Define prior in MCMCglmm

Maria Paola Bissiri Maria_Paola.Bissiri at tu-dresden.de
Thu Nov 14 16:06:26 CET 2013

Dear Szymek,
thank you very much for your answer.

Yes, the random effects were indicated wrongly in MCMCglmm! My
intention is of course to look at variance associated with subjects
(subj_ID).
I meant (1 + fin_B|subj_ID), as indicated in glmer() (lme4 package).
And this should be indicated in MCMCglmm() as random = ~us(1):subj_ID
+ us(fin_B):subj_ID.
Please, correct me if I am wrong.

So the model runs with:
k <- length(levels(fallmid$resp_X))
I <- diag(k-1)
J <- matrix(rep(1, (k-1)^2), c(k-1, k-1))
prior <- list(R = list(fix = 1, V = 0.5 * (I+J), n = 2),
                  G = list(G1 = list(V = diag(1), n = 2), G2 = list(V
= diag(2), n = 2)))

fallmid.MCMCglmm <- MCMCglmm(resp_X ~ lang * ini_pch + lang * manner +
lang * fin_B,
                              random = ~us(1):subj_ID + us(fin_B):subj_ID,
                              family="categorical", data=fallmid,
                              prior=prior
                              )

In your suggestion you indicate nu=2.002. What does "nu" mean? What is
the difference between nu and n? In the MCMCglmm manual and in the
tutorial they are both defined as "degrees of belief". What does this
mean?

Kind regards,
Maria Paola

--
Dr. Maria Paola Bissiri

TU Dresden
Fakultät Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik
Institut für Akustik und Sprachkommunikation
01062 Dresden

Barkhausen-Bau, Raum S54
Helmholtzstraße 18

Tel: +49 (0)351 463-34283