[R-sig-ME] lme4 sanple size analysis / power analysis by simulation ...

Lenth, Russell V russell-lenth at uiowa.edu
Tue Oct 22 22:30:55 CEST 2013

Re David's response, I don't think the question of post hoc power hinges on the outcome of the test. If it was "no significance", then obviously the power was too low to detect the observed effect, because it in fact was not detected. It is important to answer the right questions, rather than to try to come up with an exacting way to answer the wrong question. And power isn't the right question here.

One right question is this: what did you observe, and was it meaningful in any practical way? If two groups have average IQ scores that differ by, say, 0.45, and this result isn't significant, then the question isn't whether the power was too low, but that there is no practical difference between the two populations. On the other hand, if the difference is 19 IQ points, then that would be regarded as a meaningful difference. If the test was significant, then the test was powerful enough; and otherwise it wasn't powerful enough. But that judgment isn't based on a calculation, it's based on looking at -- and actually thinking about -- the observed results.

For that reason, I am in closer agreement with Kevin and Steven's comments. However, the correct way to judge whether a difference is smaller than a threshold is to do an equivalence test, not a power calculation. See the Hoenig and Heisey reference in the original post.

I apologize if this discussion is viewed as inappropriate for this forum. The original question came up in the context of a technicality related to interpreting a mixed-model analysis, and I do realize we have wandered away from that emphasis. Perhaps we should move this elsewhere if there is further comment?

Russ

Sent from my iPad