[R-sig-ME] lme4 sanple size analysis / power analysis by simulation ...

Lenth, Russell V russell-lenth at uiowa.edu
Tue Oct 22 15:35:29 CEST 2013

The reviewers were NOT correct in questioning whether you had sufficient power. Power is the probability of rejecting a null hypothesis. You have the data, you did your analysis, so you know which hypotheses were rejected (retrospectively, the power of those is 1) and those you did not (retrospective power of 0). There is no more information about power to be gleaned with respect to those data and analyses. You can use power calculations to decide sample size for a future study only.

Russ

--
Russell V. Lenth  -  Professor Emeritus
Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science

The paper was accepted with revisions which is where we are now. The
reviewers correctly questioned to what extent we had sufficient power to
come to the conclusions we did. I do not want to perform a post-hoc power
analysis because from what I have read and seen on R discussions it is
discouraged.