[R-sig-ME] equality constraints in lmer/lme4

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Oct 21 23:21:35 CEST 2013

On Oct 21, 2013, at 1:58 PM, Greg Snow wrote:

> No, think about the algebra, if we start with:
>
> y = b0 + b1*x1 + b2*x2 + ...
>
> then the constraint that b1 = b2 gives us:
>
> y = b0 + b1*x1 + b1*x2 + ...
>
> then factoring:
>
> y = b0 + b1*(x1 + x2) + ...
>
> Or we can demonstrate with a basic simulation example (here the true
> common slope is 2):
>
>> x1 <- rnorm(100, 10, 3)
>> x2 <- rnorm(100, 100, 5)
>> y <- 2*x1 + 2*x2 + rnorm(100,0,1)
>> lm(y ~ x1 + x2)

Thanks, Greg. I get it.

I guess I'm more concrete in my thinking. I needed to see it prove experimentally. I just wasn't willing to accept it on the basis of "factoring" a formula, since there are some rather non-mathematical evaluation steps involved in the interpretation of "*" in R formulas.

--
David.