[R-sig-ME] Zero random effect variance?

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 05:05:57 CEST 2013

On 13-10-17 08:28 PM, Dave Marvin wrote:
> Sorry, I included it as a text file attachment. Guessing the
> list-serv strips attachments... Here is a link to the text file:
> http://goo.gl/e5q2hO
>
> If that is the issue (which after looking back at my boxplot is
> probably the case) should I still expect literally zero variance
> attributed to the chambers?

  Yes.  This is a case, I think (referred to from time to time in
threads on this list), where the classical method of moments estimates
would give a negative among-group variance, or a compound symmetry model
would give negative within-group correlations; the framework used in
lme4 can't do either of those things easily.  (It would be entertaining
but totally impractical to try to figure out what kind of imaginary- or
complex-valued values one would need in the computations to get this to
work out).

  Ben Bolker