[R-sig-ME] Zero random effect variance?

Dave Marvin marvs at umich.edu
Thu Oct 17 16:48:15 CEST 2013

For the following dataset (described at the bottom of this email), a boxplot of the data by chamber

> height=read.table("height.txt",header=TRUE)
> boxplot(HtChg~Chamber,data=height)

shows there is clearly a lot of chamber-to-chamber variation in the response variable. However, if I run a random intercept-only model:

> lmer(HtChg~1+(1|Chamber),data=height)

I get 0 variance for the random intercept. Same is true if I then include any categorical fixed effects. Does this seem correct, and if so why?
-Dave