[R-sig-ME] [Lme4-authors] AIC calculation

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 17:12:15 CEST 2013

   [forwarding to r-sig-mixed-models]

On 13-10-15 04:44 AM, Miguel Boubeta Martínez wrote:
> Hello,
> The lastest versions were 0.999999-2 and 1.0-4. I fit a GLMM, as
>   glmm=glmer(y~ x + (1|dd),family=poisson())
> where 'y' is the response, 'x' is the covariate and 'dd' is the
> area. With these options, the AIC results were different. Could you give
> me the reference of the calculation of AIC used in lme4?
> Sincerely,z``
>   Miguel.

  From the NEWS file for lme4, e.g.

> news(grepl("consistent",Text) & Version=="1.0-0",package="lme4")

: As another side effect of matching glm behaviour, reported
log-likelihoods from glmer models are no longer consistent with those
from pre-1.0 lme4, but _are_ consistent with glm; see glmer examples.

  The AIC calculation (given the log-likelihood) is completely standard:
it's the log-likelihood calculation you have to be careful about -- see
lme4:::logLik.merMod (which also specifies the computation of the number
of parameters).

  Ben Bolker

z``>