[R-sig-ME] effect sizes in lmer

Steven J. Pierce pierces1 at msu.edu
Mon Oct 14 14:21:37 CEST 2013

Josh,

Check out the following paper in addition to the other suggestions folks
here are making. Baguley provides a useful critique of standardized effect
sizes. If your variables are measured in inherently meaningful units, there
is utility in understanding what the parameter estimates actually tell you
in terms of simple effect size.

Baguley, T. (2009). Standardized or simple effect size: What should be
reported? British Journal of Psychology, 100(3), 603-617. doi:
10.1348/000712608X377117

As an additional thought, an interaction is just a situation where the
effect size of one bivariate relationship (say slope of x as predictor of y)
depends on some other variable (for example z). Consider reporting all the
conditional effect sizes that describe the set of relationships rather than
some overall effect size. For example, what is the effect of x on y when z =
1, when z = 2, etc. Interpreting those conditional effects would be more
scientifically informative about the phenomenon under study than an overall
effect size, which is often too abstract a quantity for people to actually
understand. I suspect there are in fact situations where the same value for
the overall effect size could have drastically different implications
depending on what is happening with the various conditional effects.

Steven J. Pierce, Ph.D.
Associate Director
Center for Statistical Training & Consulting (CSTAT)
Michigan State University
E-mail: pierces1 at msu.edu