[R-sig-ME] Issue with experimental design?

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 15:10:12 CEST 2013

Ted Wright <cewright at ...> writes:

> You should treat this as a 3-group design. There is no nesting
> or crossing,
> but you can still compare the outcomes for the three groups.
>
> Ted Wright

  I agree. The way to make the distinction(s) you are interested
in (normal vs. treatment, or normal vs. low vs. treatment) is
by setting the contrasts of your fixed effects appropriately.
(You can see ?contrasts ; unfortunately setting custom contrasts
is a little bit opaque, although in your case the contr.sdif()
function from the MASS package might be helpful.)