[R-sig-ME] effect sizes in lmer

Henrik Singmann henrik.singmann at psychologie.uni-freiburg.de
Sun Oct 13 14:19:07 CEST 2013

Do you want the effect size of single parameters? Then the friendly hint of David Winsemius (fixef or ranef) is the way to go (i.e., reporting the size of the parameters).

If you are interested in a value for the whole model, you could have a look at the different alternatives of R² discussed on the faq: http://glmm.wikidot.com/faq#mcmcsamp_status (scroll down a little).

I tend to like Omega²_0 which is given by the following for a model m:
1-var(residuals(m))/(var(model.response(model.frame(m)))

See: Xu, R. 2003. Measuring explained variation in linear mixed effects models. Statist. Med. 22:3527-3541. doi:10.1002/sim.1572

Hope that helps,
Henrik

--
Dipl. Psych. Henrik Singmann