[R-sig-ME] How to explain the difference of variables in random effects component

Tetsuya Michinaka zhangyf at affrc.go.jp
Thu Oct 10 02:06:36 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I am fitting a very simple linear mixed model by using lme4. It is like
this:
ModelA<-lmer(TF~ P*A + (1| DistrictID),data, REML=TRUE)
ModelB<-lmer(TF~ P*A + (1+AREA| DistrictID),data, REML=TRUE)
ModelC<-lmer(TF~ P*A + (1+Distance| DistrictID),data, REML=TRUE)

By checking AIC and BIC, it is found that ModelB seems to be the best.
Could you please tell me how to explain the the impacts of AREA and
Distance?
The objective is to know the impacts of P and A on TF. AREA and Distance
are characteristics of the district, therefore, they are added in the
random effects component.
I am new for mixed model. Could you please help me?

Thanks.

Tetsuya