[R-sig-ME] Repeated measures within and across years

Henrik Singmann henrik.singmann at psychologie.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Sep 26 11:41:14 CEST 2013

Hi Kristen,

Although I am no expert in neither count models nor ecology, I will step in with some thoughts as you haven't received any response so far.

One of the advantages of mixed models over the classical approaches is that it allows for replications within a cell of the design. That is, one can usually avoid aggregation (at least if there aren't too many zero cells, I guess).

That being said, in your case the simplest model would be:

count ~ year + (1|site)

A fixed effect for year plus a random effect for site that accounts for differences in overall levels of populations between sites (i.e., a site random intercept). This already accounts for the repeated measure nature of the data.

However, as often said on this list, it is probably a good idea to include random slopes for year as well, to allow the effect of year to also vary site specific:

count ~ year + (year|site)

Next, it might be a good idea to consider within year variations by also modeling the effect of when within a year the data is measured:

count ~ year + jdate + (year + jdate|site)

(I am not so sure if with only three observations per site and year the jdate random slope is estimated precise enough, but one needs to inspect the model afterwards.)

Finally, one could also have the idea that year and jdate interact and come to the largest model (for which the same caveat as above applies):

count ~ year*jdate + (year*jdate|site)

Either of those formulas should be put in a call to glmer(..., family = poisson). However, you will also have to consider the case of over- or underdispersion, but as said above. This is not my field, so I have no idea about it.

Any other model (e.g., including ID) seems inappropriate given my understanding of your data (or I don'T understand what ID is supposed to be).

Hope that helps,
Henrik

--
Dipl. Psych. Henrik Singmann