[R-sig-ME] why would using p-values of GLMM for distr other than Gaussian be correct?

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 00:20:48 CEST 2013

Hi Pablo,

I think it depends on the assumptions.  In theory with the right
degrees of freedom, you could fit linear mixed effects models on a
smaller sample reasonably.

There are no degrees of freedom typically for glms, and GLMMs follow
suit.  Things like logistic regression rely on large sample
theory---you have a big enough sample degrees of freedom are
effectively infinite---the parameters are normally distributed and a z
test is fine.  The same would hold for linear mixed models.  If you
had say, 50000 observations from 1000 groups, p values assuming z =
b/se ~ Gaussian is pretty sensible.

Cheers,

Joshua