[R-sig-ME] lme4 1.0-4 now on CRAN

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 00:16:22 CEST 2013

>   I'd like to say we could provide a 3.0.0-compatible version
> from R-forge, but it gets a bit tricky because there's no obvious
> way to distinguish among patch releases within an R repository
> structure (i.e. we can easily provide different versions for
> 2.15 vs 3.0, but not for 3.0.0 vs 3.0.1) ... I hate to join the
> "why don't you just upgrade?" crowd, but it does feel like updating
> from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1 would be fairly painless (?).

If we were voting, I would say leave it as is.  Developer's time is
precious and supporting outdated versions of R seems lower than other
features.  Perhaps a different approach would be taken for a feature
complete/stable package, but I think there have been some exciting
developments and some future ones planned for lme4, and I would hate
to see those efforts stymied by backwards compatibility.