[R-sig-ME] Variance structure in mixed models

v_coudrain at voila.fr v_coudrain at voila.fr
Mon Sep 23 14:52:26 CEST 2013

Dear all,

I modelled my data with a quasi-poisson error distribution using glm: glm(response~variable1 + factor1 , family=quasipoisson). Looking at the plot of residuals vs
factor 1, I noticed a large heterogeneity in residual variance between the different levels of my factor. With a linear regression, there is the option of using a
different variance structure for different levels using the option "varIdent" (funtion gls, package nlme). I could not find any equivalent for mixed models. Could
anybody explain me why and if there is another possibilty to account for variance heterogeneity?

Thank you very much