[R-sig-ME] General Questions Regarding lmer Output

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Fri Sep 13 21:23:08 CEST 2013

Jacob

In terms of (1), see the ?ranef help and specifically the postVar
argument. That will return the conditional variances which you can use for
the Cis you desire.

In terms of (2), this is a longstanding issue with mixed models and has
been well-discussed on this list for years. See the link below for a
description/rationale for why p-values, etc do not appear.

The main issue is that it is unknown what distribution that statistics
actually follow.

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2006-May/094765.html