[R-sig-ME] Standard errors for predictions of logistic GLMM

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 21:29:58 CEST 2013

On 13-09-12 03:06 PM, Benjamin Chabot-Hanowell wrote:
> BACKGROUND
>
> Hello, Dr. Bolker. In the R-Sig-ME discussion below, you describe
> how to construct crude standard errors for predictions of GLMMS
> from lmer and glmmadmb.
>
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/2011q2/016356.html
>
>  You referenced the wiki below in stating that you could simply add
> in the among-group variance to the fixed effects variance.
>
> http://glmm.wikidot.com/faq
>
> QUESTION
>
> Is this still the case for a model from a binomial family with a
> logit link function?

  I prefer not to answer questions like this offline, so I'm cc'ing
back to r-sig-mixed-models.

  To the extent that we are willing to assume that the error structure
on the logit scale is Normally distributed, and that we are not
worried about ignoring the uncertainty in the random effects
parameters (i.e. we are conditioning on the estimates of RE
variance-covariance matrices), if you do this procedure on the link
(logit) scale and inverse-link-transform the resulting confidence
intervals, I would think you would get reasonable answers.

  You might want to do a quick check against the results of bootMer() ...

  As always, corrections/caveats welcome from the rest of the community.

  Ben Bolker