[R-sig-ME] Do "true" multi-level models require Bayesian methods?

Steven J. Pierce pierces1 at msu.edu
Wed Sep 4 14:31:38 CEST 2013

I agree with Jake. It is common practice to use cross-level interactions to
investigate the effects of covariates at different levels, even when one is
not using pure Bayesian methods to estimate the models. This happens a lot
in community psychology, industrial/organizational psychology, education,
medicine, and in a variety other disciplines from what I have seen in the
literature. Indeed, this feature lets multilevel models serve as a better
way to test certain theories and hypotheses than simpler methods such as OLS
regression because then the resulting model better aligns with the
conceptual structure of the theory and the phenomena of interest.

Aguinis, H., Gottfredson, R. K., & Culpepper, S. A. (in press).
Best-practice recommendations for estimating cross-level interaction effects
using multilevel modeling. Journal of Management.
http://mypage.iu.edu/~haguinis/pubs.html

James, L. R., & Williams, L. J. (2000). The cross-level operator in
regression, ANCOVA, and contextual analysis. In K. J. Klein & S. W. J.
Kozlowski (Eds.), Multilevel theory, research, and methods in organizations:
Foundations, extensions, and new directions (pp. 382-424). San Francisco,
CA: Jossey-Bass.

Luke, D. A. (2005). Getting the big picture in community science: Methods
that capture context. American Journal of Community Psychology, 35(3/4),
185-200. doi: 10.1007/s10464-005-3397-z

Raudenbush, S. W., & Bryk, A. S. (2002). Hierarchical linear models:
Applications and data analysis methods (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage
Publications.

Shinn, M., & Rapkin, B. D. (2000). Cross-level research without cross-ups in
community psychology. In J. Rappaport & E. Seidman (Eds.), Handbook of
community psychology (pp. 669-695). New York, NY: Kluwer Academic/Plenum
Publishers.

Steven J. Pierce, Ph.D.
Associate Director
Center for Statistical Training & Consulting (CSTAT)
Michigan State University
E-mail: pierces1 at msu.edu