[R-sig-ME] Mean Centering Data in Linear Mixed Models

Hufthammer, Karl Ove karl.ove.hufthammer at helse-bergen.no
Fri Aug 30 11:27:50 CEST 2013

You might want to take a look at the paper 'Centering Predictor Variables in Cross-Sectional Multilevel Models: A New Look at an Old Issue', available at:
http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~sping/PM-515/references/Enders%202007%20centering%20in%20multilevel%20analysis.pdf

There are some subtle conceptual issues with regards to centering of predictor variables, carefully explained in this (18 pages long!) paper.

Karl Ove Hufthammer