[R-sig-ME] lme: random effects for replicated growth curves

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 16:53:59 CEST 2013

[cc'ing back to r-sig-mixed-models ]

  I'm still not 100% sure what the problem is, and I don't know if I
have time to dig through in detail, but here's an example that _might_
help -- if you want to use a grouped correlation structure without
incorporating random effects ...

 d <- data.frame(x=1:1000,
   f=rep(1:50,each=20),
   y=rnorm(1000),time=rep(1:20,50))

lme(y~x,correlation=corAR1(form=~time|f),random=~1|f,data=d)
gls(y~x,correlation=corAR1(form=~time|f),data=d)  ## without RE