[R-sig-ME] Analysis of unbalanced nested half-sib/full-sib, design with MCMCglmm/lmer

Gustaf Granath gustaf.granath at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 07:10:59 CEST 2013

In a simple univariate case the animal + dam model may give the same
output as a sire + dam model. However, for multivaraite analyses (if you
intend to run such analyses as well) with messy data (variances close to
zero, unbalanced, low sample size, noisy), I have experienced that the
sire + dam model gives much more reliable estimates (less auto
correlation etc) and is probably a better option if you have a classic
half-sib design.

Gustaf Granath