[R-sig-ME] Model selection for mgcv::gamm (using PQL)

Cornelia Oedekoven cornelia at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Mon Aug 5 19:26:36 CEST 2013

I am aware this topic is not necessarily lmer() related but was hoping I could
get some expert oppinion on this here nonetheless.

I am trying to do model selection for quasipoisson GAMM using PQL and have the
three models specified below.  What method should I use to select the best
model (note that “Phase” has two levels)?

gamm2<-gamm(response~s(SST)+as.factor(Month) +
s(Long,Lat,by=as.factor(Phase))+offset(logArea),random=list(transect=~1),
data=all.data,family=quasipoisson, niterPQL=40)

gamm1<-gamm(response~
s(SST)+as.factor(Month)+s(Long,Lat)+as.factor(Phase)+offset(logArea),
random=list(transect=~1), data=all.data,family=quasipoisson,niterPQL=40)

gamm0<- gamm(response~s(SST)+as.factor(Month)+s(Long,Lat)+offset(logArea),
random=list(transect=~1),data=all.data,family=quasipoisson,niterPQL=40)

Each model has an $lme and a $gam object where the former is fitted using nlme.
I have considered to compare AIC values from the $lme outputs but since the
log-likelihood is not from the fitted GAMM I assume this is not the appropriate
method.
Crossvalidation would take too long for this study (simulation study with a
large number of large data sets to which the models are fitted).
The function gamm4::gamm4 uses lme4 instead of nlme (and avoids PQL). It does,
however, not allow for specifying quasi-families and the data is overdispersed.
I am aware that QAIC has been used for overdispersed GLM models but I cannot
find anything that says this it is appropriate for overdispersed GLMM or GAMM.
Many thanks and any help is much appreciated.

Cheers, Cornelia

Cornelia Oedekoven
CREEM
University of St Andrews
cornelia at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
www.creem.st-and.ac.uk

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland : No SC013532