[R-sig-ME] Question on mixed models, pseudoreplication and inflated degrees of freedom

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Thu Aug 1 11:17:48 CEST 2013

Dear Tom,

Having SUGAR both in the fixed and the random effects in not relevant. The variance of the SUGAR random effect should be zero. Assuming each CLONE has a unique ID, you don't need the nesting either. The random effect of CLONE will model the effect of each clone while taking into account the fixed effects (which include SUGAR).

The A + B + A * B syntax is verbose. A * B will do. If you prefer to write the model explicit then I recommend using the A + B + A:B notation. A * B is shorthand for A + B + A : B

You might want to add an observation level random effect to capture potential overdispersion. Look carefully at the variance of this random effect. If it's small you should be ok. When it gets higher (above 1 or 2) you have quite strong overdispersion. In that case you better switch to a model that uses a more appropriate family (e.g. negative binomial).

data$ID <- seq_len(nrow(data))

So the model should be

M0 <- glmer(FITNESS ~  ANT_TENDED * SUGAR + C + (1|PLANT) + (1|CLONES) + (1|ID), family = poisson, data = data)

Or if the clones are sometime tended and sometimes not

glmer(FITNESS ~  ANT_TENDED * SUGAR + C + (1|PLANT) + (0 + ANT_TENDED|CLONES) + (1|ID), family = poisson, data = data)

Likelihoodratio tests should be ok.

M0 <- glmer(FITNESS ~  ANT_TENDED * SUGAR + C + (1|PLANT) + (1|CLONES) + (1|ID), family = poisson, data = data)
M1 <- glmer(FITNESS ~  ANT_TENDED + SUGAR + C + (1|PLANT) + (1|CLONES) + (1|ID), family = poisson, data = data)
anova(M0, M1)

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium
+ 32 2 525 02 51
+ 32 54 43 61 85
Thierry.Onkelinx op inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey