[R-sig-ME] lme4 and PIRLS

Grace, Justin justin.grace at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Jul 25 15:18:33 CEST 2013

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your response.

I think I rushed my question - I am aware of the distinction between PIRLS as a penalisation method and REML as an assessment of fit. Is there an equivalent penalisation routine run in lmer?

I am using lmer, not glmer (the outcome is pseudo-continuous - a 20 item score, but with some count-like properties over time and a ceiling effect: see graph, BI is the outcome)

When we include individual and temporal random effects the residuals appear normal. There is a lot of noise however, and since the model is to be used as a prognostic tool in new populations I want to make sure the predictions are robust and not over fitting.

I have validated in external data sets in addition to using cross-validation procedures internally.

Thanks,
Justin

King's College London
Department of Primary Care and Public Health Sciences
Division of Health and Social Care Research
7th Floor Capital House
42 Weston Street
London SE1 3QD

Tel: 020 7848 6638