[R-sig-ME] false convergence of lmer model

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 16:54:03 CEST 2013

Tara Woud <t.y.woud at ...> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> To determine the effect of weather parameters on the amount of core areas
> of mallards (71 different mallards with measurements on several days), I'm
> trying to fit the following model to my data:
>
> model1 <- lmer(Core_areas  ~ c_MaxTemp + I(c_MaxTemp^2) + c_MinTemp + I(
> c_MinTemp^2) + c_GemTemp + I(c_GemTemp^2) + c_D.rain + c_S.rain + c_Gemwind +
> c_Hwind + c_Lwind + (1 | Mallard)   # random slope | random factor (here
> individual is random factor), family = poisson)
>
> But then I get the following warning message:
>
> In mer_finalize(ans) : false convergence (8)
> What consequences does this have? And had anybody an idea how I can solve
> this??
>
> Best,
>
> Tara

  [snip]

  Are you willing to try out the development version of lme4
(which will, hopefully, be released and become the CRAN version
in about a week anyway)?  See the Installation section at
https://github.com/lme4/lme4/blob/master/README.md  ...

  The new version tends to have fewer problems with false convergence
and more flexibility for exploring and fixing convergence problems
if they do occur.

  Ben Bolker