[R-sig-ME] MLWIN in R_errormessage_Error in read.dta(IGLSfile): unable to open file: 'No such file or directory'

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 01:15:37 CEST 2013

Andrew McFadden (Andy <Andrew.McFadden at ...> writes:

> I am trying to run MLWIN within R. I have used an example put
> together by the developers of the package (R2MLwiN) but get an error
> message that I cant figure out. Really appreciate a hand

> I get the following message:
>
> Cannot find worksheet: Settings/Temp/RtmpYpbSae/macrofile_103829e77324.txt
> Cannot find macro: C:/DOCUME~1/mcfaddena/Local
> Execution completed
> Error in read.dta(IGLSfile) :
>   unable to open file: 'No such file or directory'

 [snip]

  I'm going to take a guess that you're having a problem with
file paths containing spaces, but it's really going to be hard
for me to tell since I don't have MLwiN installed.  I would suggest:
(1) contacting the package maintainer and (2) if you have the
expertise, trying the usual R debugging tricks [?traceback,
?browser, options(error=recover)] to see where the problem is.

  Ben Bolker