[R-sig-ME] Mixed Effects Model

Stephen Sefick sas0025 at auburn.edu
Wed Jun 5 23:16:45 CEST 2013

Hello all:

This is my first foray into mixed effects modelling and I have a couple
of questions.

I have data that I would like to analyize and I believe that a mixed
effects model is the proper thing to use:

fixed effects isolate (factor); response plant height

nested factors:
Time Point (TP) nested in Exp
Plant nested in TP

non-nested factor:
Position (leaf position)

I have explicitly nested the TP in Exp by creating an interaction factor
TP:Exp=EX_TP and explicitly nested TP in PLANT and Exp with the factor
variable Exp:TP:PLANT=TP_PLANT

I have used the code

lmer(HEIGHT~ISO+(1|EX)+(1|EX_TP)+(1|TP_PLANT)+(1|POSITION), data=z)

to fit this model.  I believe this is the correct specification.  Is
this correct?

I would also like to be able to fit this in lme (to be used to create a
decision tree in package REEM tree).  I would like to use the REEM tree
package to investigate metal concentrations in the data predicting
isolate incorperating the experimental structure.

Please let me know if any more information is needed to help answer my
questions.  Thank you in advance for all of the help.
kindest regards,

--
Stephen Sefick
Auburn University
sas0025 at auburn.edu
http://www.auburn.edu/~sas0025

Let's not spend our time and resources thinking about things that are so
little or so large that all they really do for us is puff us up and make
us feel like gods.  We are mammals, and have not exhausted the annoying
little problems of being mammals.

                                 -K. Mullis

"A big computer, a complex algorithm and a long time does not equal
science."

                               -Robert Gentleman