[R-sig-ME] Negative Variance

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Wed Jun 5 03:45:13 CEST 2013

A variance components model that has a variance structure

  block variance + plot (within block) variance + subplot (within plot) variance

makes sense only if blocks take out some part of the variation, i.e., variation
between plots within blocks is (in the absence of treatment effects) smaller
than variation between plots in different blocks.  Similarly for subplots
within/between plots.

If on the contrary, there is more variation between between plots within blocks
than between plots in different blocks (this is likely to happen if there is a
nutrient or fertility or moisture gradient within blocks), then a model that has
the form on the second line above will if allowed account for this by returning
a negative block component of variance estimate.  It does this in order to get
a plausible variance-covariance structure.

Of course, once a gradient has been identified, it can be accommodated in the
model.  This does not however undo all the malign effects of an unfortunate
experimental design.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm