[R-sig-ME] Maximal specification of random effects

Malcolm Fairbrother M.Fairbrother at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Jun 5 00:49:39 CEST 2013

Hi Han-Gyol,

I'm personally yet to see any context in which it makes sense to
include a variable on *both* sides of the "|", so I for one am
sceptical of "(1 + item | subject) + (1 + trial + environment |
item)".

(Note for parsimony's sake this is equivalent to "(item | subject) +
(trial + environment | item)" since random intercepts are included by
default.)

Others may disagree, but I don't even see a lot of reason to include
random intercepts for category, context, and batch (given the small
numbers of each). If anything, I'd fit the model as:

outcome ~ trial * environment * category * context * batch + (1 | subject)

Check to see whether you need all the interactions -- maybe not. And
the model may not even converge, though with 6*80 observations per
subject, I think it has a good chance of doing so.

If you want to keep it maximal, my view would be:

outcome ~ trial * environment * category * context * batch + (trial *
category * context * batch | subject)

Though you may have to simplify further, again for convergence's sake.
Relevant substantive theory, setting REML to FALSE, and comparing
nested models with likelihood ratio tests should together help you
decide how complex a model to keep.

Cheers,
Malcolm