[R-sig-ME] Negative Variance

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 18:20:48 CEST 2013

On 13-06-04 12:00 PM, Jarrod Hadfield wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Negative variance estimates could make sense if viewed as covariances.
> For example, you could imagine controlling the amount of food for a nest
> of chicks very carefully such that negative correlations between the
> weights of nest-mates exist because of competition (if I take a large
> slice of the pie you're left with a little slice). Having a negative
> estimate of the nest variance would then make sense if viewed as an
> estimate of the covariance. asreml-R will allow you to let the variance
> go negative (or model them as residual correlations if you prefer).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jarrod

  OK.  lme won't let variances go negative, but it will allow you to
estimate negative residual correlations:

lme(prevalence~sex,random=list(tripsite=pdCompSymm(~sex-1)),data=g6)

 is one example I quickly pulled out of a previous analysis (correlation
between male and female prevalences measured within a trip:site
combination, which could be either positive or negative).

  So far this is not easily done in lme4::lmer.