[R-sig-ME] LMER False Convergence (8)

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 22:49:31 CEST 2013

Daniel Anderson <daniela at ...> writes:

> Hey Ben, I would love to provide the dataset but
> unfortunately I don't think it's possible. It's an entire
> state's educational accountability testing data and the state
> that we got the it from has required we use
> all sorts of securities when accessing it. It's kind of silly
> how many regulations they have on it
> actually, considering it is already completely de-identified,
>  but such is life. Thanks again for all
> your help though, I really appreciate it.
>
> Daniel

  There are a few other things we can try remotely to determine
whether the correlation=1 is correct (and HLM and the old version
of lme4 are getting not-quite-the-right answer) or the smaller
correlation of around 0.87 is more correct -- it would just
have been easier to do the experimentation myself rather than
by remote control, as it were.

  Some of the steps (without going into detail) are

(1) compare deviances estimated from the different methods;
if they look like they're estimated on the same scale, see whether
how the devel-lme4 deviance compares to the others
(2) construct a likelihood profile and see if the correlation
parameter is really maximum at the edge
(3) try starting lme4 from the parameters estimated by the other
programs, and/or evaluating the deviance at those parameters
(this might require some reparameterization/hacking)

  I'm happy to continue the conversation offline.  (I have
a vested interest in making sure that the development version
of lme4 does _not_ do worse than the currently released version
under any examples that I can find out about ...)