[R-sig-ME] request

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed May 29 02:30:44 CEST 2013

On May 28, 2013, at 3:49 PM, Steven McKinney wrote:

> What appears to be a preprint copy is available at
>
>   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/paperexamples/atkins/Modeling_Infrequent_Counts_JFP2007_-_WEB.pdf

This article contains what I consider to be unfortunate advice:

"One consequence of this is that using a simple transformation allows us to interpret regression coefficients in the Poisson model as the percentage change in the expected counts:

100*[eβ*δ −1] (5) where β is the regression coefficient from the Poisson regression and δ is the units of change in

the predictor (e.g., for one unit of change in the predictor, δ = 1)."

This advice (which is repeating a misinterpretation foisted by the SAS Stats Manual) fails to recognize that the scale of interpretation is not symmetric upon "inversion" or "complementation" of the predictors. So if the predictor is a 1/0 variable, then one coding of a variable with a coefficient of log(2)  might be "interpreted" as a 100% change(say for "married"==1),  whereas the reverse coding ( alternately coded "not married" ==1)  would be "interpreted" as a 50% change. Ironically this advice occurs immediately after the distinction between linear scales and multiplicative scales. It is the multiplicative scale that invalidates that "percentage change" interpretation simply because the range from a "null"-value of 0 to the low end of possible values os "100%" whereas the range to the high end is unlimited upward.

(The correct interpretation is for the exponentiated coefficient to be seen as a relative risk or a multiplicative factor that creates a predicted count or rate relative to the Intercept or baseline estimate. There is really no need to subtract one if one realizes that a factor of 1 will not change any estimate if the result is being multiplied by a baseline value.)

If the advice were couched in more limited manner such that it were resticted to small coefficients and sufficient caveats about its approximate nature were offers, I would be less offended. It bothers me to see this further source of misinterpretation cited as an authority.

> Steven McKinney
>
> Statistician
> Molecular Oncology and Breast Cancer Program
> British Columbia Cancer Research Centre

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA