[R-sig-ME] Design Matrix for Random effects

Steve Walker steve.walker at utoronto.ca
Tue May 28 19:29:29 CEST 2013

Hi Robert,

In stable (i.e. cran) lme4, Zt can be obtained without fitting the model
using this command:

lmer(Reaction ~ Days + (Days|Subject), data=sleepstudy, doFit =
FALSE)$FL$trms[[1]]$Zt

In development (i.e. github) lme4, you can use this command:

lFormula(Reaction ~ Days + (Days|Subject), data=sleepstudy)$reTrms$Zt

or these two:

dv <- lmer(Reaction ~ Days + (Days|Subject), data=sleepstudy, devFunOnly
= TRUE)
environment(dv)$pp$Zt

Cheers,
Steve