[R-sig-ME] categorical random effects correlation in lme4

Henrik Singmann henrik.singmann at psychologie.uni-freiburg.de
Thu May 23 23:21:37 CEST 2013

Hi Andrew,

in Baayen, Davidson, & Bates (2008) they discuss a situation very similar to yours and in which they perform similar steps as you have done (full model has a correlation of slopes of -1, then remove correlation between random slopes, and then remove random slopes altogether) and then decide for the smallest model (only random intercepts) as it provides the best account in terms of a LRT .

In your case it now seems to be the case that the full model and intercept only model are identical (as predicted by slide 38 of the presentation you linked).

So you basically only have the options between:
- a model with (0 + factor(white) | primary_ther) [or equivalently (factor(white) | primary_ther)],
- (1|primary_ther) + (0+white|primary_ther) [as I suggested and which should have less random parameters as the model before, which is done by Baayen et al. (2008), and also recommended by Barr et al. (2013) in case of nonconvergence],
- and the random intercept only model (1 | primary_ther).

What does the LRT [i.e., anova()] now say to these three options?

I hope this helps and I really liked the Barr article (also I would not trust their recommendation on how to obtain p-values but resort on either afex or car::Anova(..., test = "F") which are equivalent).

I hope that helps and sorry if you did also this already,
Henrik

Note: Baayen et al use slightly different syntax.