[R-sig-ME] How to deal with outcomes assessed by raters?

Andrew Robinson A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Apr 19 02:57:21 CEST 2013

Hi Joseph,

thanks for this detailed summary.  Based on my understanding, I think
that it is defensible to include the raters as random effects in the
model, and I think that doing so provides a more faithful
representation of your experimental design than would excluding them.

Definitely not nuts.

On the niggles: I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "averaging over
the ratings".  It sounds risky to me.

Cheers

Andrew