[R-sig-ME] Unbalanced design mixed models

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 06:08:39 CEST 2013

Hi, I've wondered the same thing.  Others who can actually explain
*why* the estimator of the variance component is consistent even when
sample groups are badly unbalanced will hopefully speak up. I can't
justify it, but I've stared pretty hard at some of the classic
articles on it. The last two below are classics, by a frequent
participant in this list :)  I expect that if you sharpen up your
question a bit, you could ask again and get very sharp answers.

Harville, D. A. (1977). Maximum Likelihood Approaches to Variance
Component Estimation and to Related Problems. Journal of the American
Statistical Association, 72(358), 320–338. doi:10.2307/2286796

Jennrich, R. I., & Schluchter, M. D. (1986). Unbalanced
Repeated-Measures Models with Structured Covariance Matrices.
Biometrics, 42(4), 805–820. doi:10.2307/2530695

Pinheiro, J. C., & Bates, D. M. (1995). Approximations to the
Log-Likelihood Function in the Nonlinear Mixed-Effects Model. Journal
of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 4(1), 12–35.
doi:10.2307/1390625

Lindstrom, M. J., & Bates, D. M. (1988). Newton-Raphson and EM
Algorithms for Linear Mixed-Effects Models for Repeated-Measures Data.
Journal of the American Statistical Association, 83(404), 1014–1022.
doi:10.2307/2290128

pj