[R-sig-ME] Ben's Point about Centering and GLMM (was: Re: Low intercept estimate in a binomial glmm

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Thu Apr 11 21:23:13 CEST 2013

A quick response, and any further discussion had better proceed
in a more appropriate place (though this affects mixed models as
much as linear models):

For the nihills data in the DAAG package:

nihills$gradient <- with(nihills , climb/dist)
lognihills <- log( nihills )
names(lognihills) <- paste("l", names(nihills), sep="")

lognihills.lm <- lm(ltime ~ ldist + lclimb, data=lognihills)
round(coef( lognihills.lm) ,3)
(Intercept)       ldist      lclimb
    -4.961       0.681       0.466

lognigrad.lm <- lm(ltime ~ ldist + lgradient , data=lognihills)
round(coef( lognigrad.lm) ,3)
(Intercept)       ldist   lgradient
    -4.961       1.147       0.466

I have no interest in how the time may change with distance when
climb is held constant (as races get longer the gradient reduces, and
hence the somewhat counter-intuitive coefficient of 0.681 for list)

The coefficient of 1.147 for ldist when gradient is held constant does
make sense -- as races get longer the relative rate of increase of
time with distance increases.

Sure, the predicted values and SEs of predicted values are the
same in the two cases, if one translates from one space to the other.
That does not affect my point.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm