[R-sig-ME] Low intercept estimate in a binomial glmm

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Fri Apr 5 08:24:48 CEST 2013

Surely it is an issue of how you define multi-collinearity.

Centering is a simple re-parameterisation that, like any
other  re-parameterisation, makes no difference to the
predicted values and their standard errors (well, it will
make some small difference to the numerical computational
error, but with modern software that should be of scant
consequence).  Re-parameterisation may however give
parameters that are much more interpretable, with much
reduced correlations and standard errors   That is the
primary reason, if there is one, for doing it.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm