[R-sig-ME] lmer and semi-definite covariance matrices for randomeffects

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Thu Apr 4 07:21:15 CEST 2013

On Wed, 3 Apr 2013, Gabriel Baud-Bovy wrote:

> Thank you for your suggestion. Still, I am wondering whether lmer could
> fit the model in principle and, if not, why. Here is my current
> understanding:
[SNIP]
> What I am missing is a clear statement of why a covariance
> structure of the form sigma*CorA where CorA is  semi-definite
> positive will not work (if it does not). Which step in the computation
> of the loglikelihood by lmer cannot be done in this case.

AIUI, the details of the algorithms tend to shift around in the
development versions. My very simple minded understanding of these matters
is that one encounters these kinds of problems when one preinverts the
component matrices for efficiency (so CorA is SPD, but Va*CorA+Ve*I
isn't).

Cheers, David Duffy.