[R-sig-ME] animal model: calculating heritability andevolvability from sire effects

mikhail matz matz at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Dec 29 10:49:57 CET 2011

Hello David -

On Dec 28, 2011, at 4:15 PM, David Duffy wrote:
> So you know the trait values for both parents? so you can do a midparent regression?  And you don't or can't measure the within-sibship variance?

No, I cannot do midparent regression, unfortunately (this would be SO awesome). I am measuring larval traits, and I cannot measure those in wild-collected adult corals that serve as parents. I cannot measure within-family variance, either - only whole-family averages by measuring batches of larvae (the larvae are too small for most measurements). Please keep those ideas coming....

Misha