[R-sig-ME] problems with allocate memory

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Fri Dec 23 00:02:45 CET 2011

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011, Andrew Robinson wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> I apologize if this has already been discussed and rejected, but I
> also echo an earlier suggestion of Douglas's that you should think
> about working with a sample of your data instead of all of it.
> You might even try a model-averaging approach such as
> is used in e.g. imputation; fit the  model ten times to a tenth of the
> data and average the results.

And see

http://www.bepress.com/harvardbiostat/paper33/

"We propose a computationally efficient strategy based on the
Gauss-Seidel algorithm that iteratively fits sub-models of the GLMM to
collapsed versions of the data. The strategy is applied to investigate the
relationship between ischemic heart disease, socioeconomic status and
age/gender category in New South Wales, Australia, based on outcome data
consisting of approximately 33 million records."