[R-sig-ME] animal model: calculating heritability and evolvability from sire effects

Pierre B. de Villemereuil bonamy at horus.ens.fr
Wed Dec 21 21:56:21 CET 2011

Hi !

Concerning the 4 coefficient : you say the additive variance is
estimated within the full-sibs of the same sire. Is that to say
offspring of the same sire descent as well from the same dam ? In that
case (same father and same mother), then the relationship coefficient is
of 1/2 (2 * coefficient of coancestry of 1/4). So, I think (but I can be
wrong) the coefficient should be 2.

If each individual descent from a different mother, then kinship is 1/4.
So the coefficient of 4 is correct.

When estimating the heritability of a binomial trait, you have to keep
the residual variance in the total variance. Just add the 'link
variance' (say Vlink) such as :
h² = Va / (Va + Vr + Vlink)    (Vlink is pi²/3 for logit link and 1 for
probit link)

Cheers,
Pierre.