[R-sig-ME] factor-specific variances in lmer

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Tue Dec 13 01:58:19 CET 2011

Actually once can fit gene specific variances using lmer.
The random effects term takes the form +(gene | whatever)
[gene must be a factor]

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm