[R-sig-ME] Random or Repeated?

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Mon Dec 12 00:44:45 CET 2011

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011, Kyle Hernandez wrote:

> I am building some mixed models using QTLs for several traits. This
> basically gets at the underlying genetic architecture.  However, I have
> a Recombinant Inbred Line (RIL) breeding design grown across 5
> environments. There are a couple issues I have:
>
> 1. Each RIL is not truly independent from one another (some are more closely related than others)
> 2. Can measuring traits for a RIL across several environments be considered "repeated" measures?

Yes and no ;) I presume you might be interested in QTL x environment
interactions.  And it sounds like you would like to do a multivariate, ie
multitrait, analysis.

> I originally was using RIL as a random effect in my mixed models, but
> this kind of removed all the genetic variation from my models. However,
> perhaps I can fit RIL as a repeated measure with a specified covariance
> structure? I have also seen a type of "relatedness matrix"  used as a
> random effect (perhaps some penalized model)?

You might look at the wgaim and mpMap packages that do biparental and
multiparental RIL analyses respectively.  Use of those packages requires
you to have ASReml (but you may already have a licence).  Alternatively,
you can meditate on the papers describing them and reimplement the models
in lme4...

Cheers, David Duffy.