[R-sig-ME] symbol not subsettable still problematic on simple nlmer call [SEC: UNCLASSIFIED]

Andrew Robinson A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Sat Dec 10 22:38:32 CET 2011

Hi Michelle,

that's a confusing problem.  I'm happy to knock it around with you
offline, if you want to contact me at this email.

Cheers

Andrew

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 09:19:53AM +1100, Gosse, Michelle wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've done some testing this morning to see what is triggering my error "Error: object of type 'symbol' is not subsettable" and even running the simplest (incorrect form):
> nlmer(RESPONSE ~ BOXCOXXY,
> + data=data0)
>
> Produces the same error, suggesting the issue lies with the pass from the data frame into nlmer.
>
> traceback() results are the same as yesterday, stopping at the same point:
> 5: notnull(x$formula)
> 4: formula.default(object, env = baseenv())
> 3: formula(object, env = baseenv())
> 2: as.formula(formula[[2]])
> 1: nlmer(RESPONSE ~ BOXCOXXY, data = data0)
>
> I have tested data0 with is.data.frame(data0) and received the result TRUE just to make sure I hadn't done anything silly with the data frame construction.
>
> I'm mystified to the underlying problem.
>
> In case it helps, here is the result to objects()
> [1] "Agegrp4Coeff" "Agegrp5Coeff" "Agegrp6Coeff" "Agegrp7Coeff" "Agegrp8Coeff" "data0"        "lambda_value" "parmsg2"      "parmsg2_gee"  "Race1Coeff"   "Race3Coeff"   "random2"      "Scale"        "SeqCoeff"     "WeekendCoeff"
>
> And the result of search() is:
> [1] ".GlobalEnv"        "package:lme4"      "package:Matrix"    "package:lattice"   "package:geepack"   "package:MASS"      "package:stats"     "package:graphics"  "package:grDevices" "package:utils"     "package:datasets"
> [12] "package:methods"   "Autoloads"         "package:base"
>
> I'm running 64-bit R 2.14.0 on a networked computer, accessing a server remotely via Vmware, in a Windows 7 environment.
>
> Cheers
> Michelle
>

> UNCLASSIFIED

Andrew Robinson
Deputy Director, ACERA
Department of Mathematics and Statistics            Tel: +61-3-8344-6410
University of Melbourne, VIC 3010 Australia               (prefer email)
http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~andrewpr              Fax: +61-3-8344-4599
http://www.acera.unimelb.edu.au/

Forest Analytics with R (Springer, 2011)
http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/FAwR/
Introduction to Scientific Programming and Simulation using R (CRC, 2009):
http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/spuRs/