[R-sig-ME] nested random effects with lmer

Malcolm Fairbrother m.fairbrother at bristol.ac.uk
Sat Dec 3 12:44:53 CET 2011

Hi Charles,

> lmeobj1<-lmer(outcome~med+time+medtime+(time|subjid)+(subjid|clinid))

With this call, you've got a random intercept for subjid (which sounds like it makes sense for your data), and you're also treating it as a fixed effect that can vary randomly (which doesn't make sense), but without estimating an overall average effect (even less sense).

I think you should try:

lmeobj1 <- lmer(outcome ~ med + time + medtime + (time | subjid) + (1 | clinid))

And you may end up finding that the random slope for time is not necessary, in which case:

lmeobj1 <- lmer(outcome ~ med + time + medtime + (1 | subjid) + (1 | clinid))

Cheers,
Malcolm