[R-sig-ME] Error when installing the glmmADMB package

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 14:27:10 CET 2011

Juan Santos <juan.santos at ...> writes:

> Dear members,
> I´m restarting a postponed  analysis on fishing data (clustered data);
> Specifically I´m trying to model the numbers of fishes of a given
> species thrown back to sea (discarded) with a set of available
> covariates. One conclusion from the prior EDA on "y" is that I have to
> use a generalization of the poisson distribution (too many zeros). From
> google I´ve got a change of carry out the analysis by using the glmmADMB
> package.

  One thing to keep in mind is that a marginal distribution
with lots of zeros does not *necessarily* mean you need a zero-inflated
model (although it might).  Once you account for the covariates
and variation among clusters, the conditional distribution might
be adequately modeled by a Poisson or some form of overdispersed
Poisson (negative binomial, lognormal-Poisson ...)

> The problem is that I could not successfully download the package from
> r-force. I tried to install it in R.13.1

  you mean R 2.13.1, right?

> but It didn´t work neither in
> xp nor in Ubuntu 11.04. In xp this is what occurs:
>
> 1.- For the installation I run;
>
> install.packages("glmmADMB",
> repos="http://r-forge.r-project.org",type="source")
>
> 2.-R start the download but several errors warnings occur:
>
> * installing *source* package 'glmmADMB' ...
> Error in .read_description(dfile) :
>    file 'C:/Documents and Settings/juan/Configuración
> local/Temp/RtmpuXoSFi/R.INSTALL3f6b31cd/glmmADMB/DESCRIPTION' does not exist
> ERROR: installing package DESCRIPTION failed for package 'glmmADMB'
>
> 1: comando ejecutado 'C:/ARCHIV~1/R/R-213~1.1/bin/i386/R CMD INSTALL -l
> "C:/Archivos de programa/R/R-2.13.1/library"
> C:\DOCUME~1\juan\CONFIG~1\Temp\RtmpD950Sc/downloaded_packages/
>  glmmADMB_0.6.6.tar.gz'

> tiene estatus 1
> 2: In install.packages("glmmADMB", repos =
> "http://r-forge.r-project.org",  :
>    installation of package 'glmmADMB' had non-zero exit status

   You get the same error messages on both operating systems?
Can you post the Ubuntu 11.04 error as well please?

  What happens if you download

https://r-forge.r-project.org/src/contrib/glmmADMB_0.6.6.tar.gz

and try to install it from the command line in Ubuntu, i.e.

 R CMD INSTALL glmmADMB_0.6.6.tar.gz

?

> 2.-Although the glmmADMB is available in my library, this error message
> is displayed when loading the package:
>
> + if(nchar(pkg)) library(pkg, character.only=TRUE)})
> Error: package 'glmmADMB' was built before R 2.10.0: please re-install it
>
> My expectation is that 'glmmADMB' should work in R<R2.10.0, so I tried
> it in R.9.0, but it doesn´t work

  I wouldn't think that going back to R 2.9.0 would be worthwhile ...