[R-sig-ME] 4 binary DVs, subjects nested within schools

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 05:21:05 CET 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 7:57 PM, John Maindonald
<john.maindonald at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> NB also R's mlogit package, which has an accompanying vignette that includes
> a number of worked examples, with R code.
> Cheers
> John Maindonald.

Dear John and Chris:

I need to make sure I understand your suggestion here. With 4 Yes or
No options, subject is free to pick any combination. That leads to a
multinomial model with 16 possible 4 tuples as outcomes:

(N,N,N,N)
(N,N,N,Y)
(N,N,Y,N)
(N,N,Y,Y)
(N,Y,N,N)
...and so forth
(Y,Y,Y,Y)

I've never tried fitting a multinomial with more than a few different
outcomes.  But I'm up for the challenge if that's what you are
actually suggesting.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science