[R-sig-ME] repeated measurement using mixed model

Jinsong Zhao jszhao at yeah.net
Sat Nov 19 01:13:34 CET 2011

On 2011-11-18 21:32, Christoph Scherber wrote:
> Dear Jinsong Zhao,
>
> In this case, you may wish to use a generalized least squares model (gls), also to be found in the nlme library. You can start with an initial model
> containing only fixed effects, and then update it with an appropriate correlation structure.
>
> Try this first:
>
> library(nlme)
> ?gls
> ?corStruct
>
> All the best
> Christoph

Dear Christoph,

Thank you very much for the kindly reply.

Dose gls() fit the linear model without random effects? Is corStruct
used with correlation argument to explore the structure of residual
variance?

Another question, someone suggests that replications of response
variable, e.g., determined concentration on 3 samples obtained from same
treatment, should be include in the design. Then, the random effects
could be estimated (I don't know how), and it will improve the power of
statistical analysis. I don't think so, however, I can't find a way to
explain that.

Regards,
Jinsong